Could you foster a greyhound?
We are always in need of people to help us to help greyhounds by offering a foster home for a greyhound as a ‘half-way-home’ until we can find a permanent home for the dog. Most of our dogs come from County Kerry but foster homes in Dublin and other areas would be highly beneficial to make our dogs more accessible to potential adopters. If you would like to apply to foster please complete the form below, and then a HUG volunteer will get in touch to arrange a homecheck. For more information or just a chat please contact us.
- Fostering time varies, usually a period of a few weeks, but for some it can take a bit longer to settle in and find their forever home
- HUG covers all veterinary and food costs during the fostering period, and will supply bedding, dishes, leads, crates, jackets, etc. as needed
- We ask that foster homes have at least one person who is home most of the day to supervise and settle the dog (for example keeping the time the dog is left completely alone to less than 5 hours)
- A secure fenced back garden is required, or a foster carer very committed to bringing a dog outside on lead to toilet several times per day
- Foster homes do sometimes wish to adopt their foster dog, which is very possible, we just ask that you let one of the HUG team know so that we don’t seek to place the dog with another adoptive family
- We can cover any other questions or concerns in the homecheck that a HUG volunteer will arrange once we receive your application form